The Deliverer of Life: God becomes a Man to Save His People
Introduction: Moses had led God’s people out of Egypt to the land of Canaan (modern-day Israel). There they took possession of the land God had promised Abraham. For several hundred years, God was Israel’s leader. He appointed men like Moses to
represent him and speak on His behalf. Other men called prophets would also deliver God’s messages to Israel and foretell his purposes. Israel wanted to be like the other nations and have a king rule them. A shepherd boy named David from Bethlehem became the second king of Israel. He loved God and God made a special promise to him. God said that the throne of David’s kingdom would be forever!
The Prophets have Spoken
1. The prophet Isaiah said that a virgin would have a son, and his name would be called
Isaiah 7:14 - Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
2. What is the meaning of the name Emmanuel? ____________________
Matthew 1:23 - Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
3. This child would be called the mighty ________, the everlasting ____________, the Prince of
______________. He would be upon the throne of ____________.
Isaiah 9:6,7 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever.
4. When Mary found out she would give birth to a son, the angel said that his name would be ____________. The Lord God would give unto him the throne of his father ____________: And he shall reign over the house of ___________ for ever.
Luke 1:31-33 - And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
5. The prophet Micah predicted that a ruler in Israel would be born in what town?
Micah 5:2 - But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
In our first lesson we learned that God was from everlasting, meaning that he has no beginning and no end. This is a prophecy that God would come to earth as a man and he would be born in Bethlehem.
6. Who was born in the city of David called Bethlehem? ______________________________
Luke 2:4,11 - And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the
city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) [The angels announce] For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
7. Who is the Word that was made flesh (became a man)? ________
John 1:1,2,14 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. And the Word was made flesh, [Jesus] and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Jesus has existed since the beginning of this world, was with God, and is God. He became flesh and lived on earth nearly 2,000 years ago. He showed the glory of God to sinners.
8. Who made all things? __________________________
John 1:3,4 – All things were made by him [Jesus]; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Jesus is the giver of life and the light of the world. He came to bring grace and truth to his own people, the Jews. Sadly they refused to have him rule over them.
9. Why do people reject the light of Jesus? _______________
John 3:19 – And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
10. List the three that bear record in heaven: the ___________, the __________, and the _______ Ghost.
I John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
12. In the near future The Word (Jesus) will come from heaven to smite the nations: and to rule them with a rod of iron: He is the ___________ of KINGS, and _____________ of LORDS.
Revelation 19:16 - And he [Jesus] hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
Jesus began his public ministry at the age of 30 years. He proved that he was God in flesh through his teachings and works.
13. God spoke in times past by the _________. Who did He speak by in the latter days? _____________ Hebrews 1:1,2 - God, who…spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son [Jesus],
The Bible records 37 miracles that Jesus performed while on earth. Here are a few examples:
14. Jesus had the power to heal _________ and to cast out _______.
Mark 1:34 - And he [Jesus] healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.
15. Jesus said he had the power to _______________ sins.
Mark 2:10 - But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he [Jesus] saith to the sick of the palsy,)
16. Jesus calmed the wind and sea. His disciples said, “Even the wind and the sea _______ him.”
Mark 4:39 - And he [Jesus] arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
17. What did Jesus do for Lazerus? __________________________
John 11:43,44 - And when he [Jesus] thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with grave clothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin.
Jesus proved that He was God in flesh and had the power over nature, spirits, illness and sin. Only a God with this power can deliver us from the punishment of sin.
Jesus did not establish his earthly kingdom 2,000 years ago, because he was rejected. But he does want to rule in the heart and life of each person now.
One day, Jesus will return to rule and reign on this earth. In the next lesson, we will learn about the most important decision in your life. You will learn how you can be sure you are on the true path to eternal life?