The Holy Bible is the Word of God to mankind. It is the Story of who God is and how he has governed in the affairs of mankind. Over the course of 1,500 years, God spoke through 40 different writers who penned this holy Book. The oldest writings date back to nearly 3,500 years ago! In it you will find the answers to life’s most important questions, such as the following: “Where did I come from?”, “Why am I here?”, and “Where am I going?”
Note: The timeline above includes the events that we will be studying in the Bible. Interestingly enough, most cultures use this dating system with BC and AD. Here, B.C. represents “Before Christ” and A.D. represents “Anno Domini”, meaning in the year of our Lord. So all of history is dated surrounding the life of Jesus Christ.
The greatest proof that the Bible is God’s word is found in fulfilled prophecies. There are about 2,500 prophecies written, with nearly 2,000 already being fulfilled. All without error! Over 300 of these prophecies were made about Jesus!
1. The first page of the Bible tells us where we came from. In the beginning, what did God do? (Genesis 1:1) ___________________________________________
Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2. According to Psalm 90:2, how long has God lived?________________
Psalm 90:2 - Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
God was never created: He had no beginning and He will never have an end.
3. We learn in John 4:24, that God is a _____________.
John 4:24 - God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
4. God’s throne is set in ______________ above the sky. (Revelation 4:2)
Revelation 4:2 - And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
5. Acts 7:48,49 says that Heaven is his ____________, and earth is his _______________. God cannot be limited by a building or a place. His presence is everywhere. He sees and knows everything. God has the ability to do anything he wants to do!
Acts 7:48,49 - Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
6. God ________ everything that we can see and cannot see. (Colossians 1:15,16)
Colossians 1:15 - Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
7. God made ministering spirits called ___________. (Hebrews 1:7)
Hebrews 1:7 - And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8. They were made to worship God and would deliver messages. Angels do not live and die like people. They live in Heaven as God’s _________. (Hebrews 1:14)
Hebrews 1:14 - Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
About God’s Word
We learn much about an author by His writings. What we know about God is what he has revealed to us in the recorded pages of Scripture. Because God is divine, His words are sacred. Because he is truth, his word is trustworthy.
9. II Timothy 3:16 tells us that “______ scripture was given by inspiration of God.”
II Timothy 3:16 -All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
10. II Peter 1:21 says that holy men were “moved by the _______ __________.
II Peter 1:21 - For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
11.God says that his words are “________ words and he will ____________ them forever.” (Psalm 12:6,7)
Psalm 12:6,7 - The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
12. God promises that his word will not return __________. Isaiah 55:11
Isaiah 55:11 - So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
13. God’s Word is like what kind of seed in I Peter 1:23________________
I Peter 1:23- Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
14. In Hebrews 4:12, we learn that God’s word is sharper than what weapon? _____________
Hebrews 4:12- For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
In the next lesson, we will learn about the vastness of the power of God’s Word.
In today's lesson, what did you learn about God?
In today's lesson, what did you learn about man?
Memory Verse: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.– Isaiah 40:8