The teachings we learn from the Bible can only be understood as we understand the God that authored it. Let us review some things we have learned about God:
God is All-Powerful – He created this world from nothing. By His spoken Word alone, He made life and everything visible and invisible!
God is Love – God is not just a force in outer space. He is a Triune being made up of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In this way, He manifests himself to man who has a body, soul, and spirit.
God is a holy Judge– Because of sin, everyone must die and be judged. The Giver of life holds all people accountable to Himself.God is Merciful – God desires to bring man back into fellowship with Himself. He made a covenant with Abraham to bless all the nations. Abraham believed God, and God counted it to him as righteousness.
God Delivers His People
Abraham’s descendants, the Israelites, multiplied greatly while living in Egypt.
Exodus 1:13 - And the Egyptians made the children of Israel to serve with rigour:
2. Who did God speak to from a burning bush? (Exodus 3:3,4) ______________
Exodus 3:3,4 - And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.
4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
3. The LORD said that he “saw the affliction of ________ ______________ and heard their cry.” (Exodus 3:7)
Exodus 3:7 - And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;
4. God told Moses that He would come down to ______________ them and bring them to a ______________ land. (Exodus 3:8)
Exodus 3:8 - And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
5. Moses went to Pharaoh and said, “Let _____ ____________ go…” (Exodus 5:1)
Exodus 5:1 - And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.
6. What did Pharaoh’s say about God? (Exodus 5:2) __________________________________ Did Pharaoh let God’s people go? ________________
Exodus 5:2 - Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go.
7. God sent nine plagues on Egypt, including frogs, flies, lice and darkness. But Pharaoh still refused to let Israel go serve God in the wilderness. So God had one final judgment to send on Egypt. What was this final judgment? (Exodus 12:12) _______________________
Exodus 12:12 - For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will
execute judgment: I am the LORD.
8. For the Israelites to be spared when the angel of death came, what did they have to do with a lamb and its blood? (Exodus 12:21-22) ________________________________________
Exodus 12:21-22 - Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.
22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.
9. What did God promise if he found the blood properly applied? (Exodus 12:23) _________________________________________________
Exodus 12:23 - For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.
Note: The blood is significant because it is the life-giving agent. (Leviticus 17:11 says, “The life of the flesh is in the blood.”) God required blood sacrifices of animals to be offered in the place of man for his sin. The death of the animal meant forgiveness with God and life for the sinner.
God Provides for His People
10. God led the people through the wilderness with a pillar of a ___________ by day and gave them light by a pillar of ___________ by night. (Exodus 13:21,22)
Exodus 13:21,22 - And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
22 He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.
11. When Pharaoh and his army decided to chase Israel, what did Moses tell the people? (Exodus 14:13,14) _________________________________________________
Exodus 14:13,14 - And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the
salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.
14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
12. What did God do to the sea in front of the Israelites? (Exodus 14:21,22) _______________
Exodus 14:21,22 - And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided. 22 And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.
13. Who overthrew the Egyptian army? (Exodus 14:27) ___________________
Exodus 14:27 - And Moses stretched forth his hand over the sea, and the sea returned to his strength when the morning appeared; and the Egyptians fled against it; and the LORD overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea.
14. What did God do when there was no food found for Israel? (Exodus 16:4) _______________
Exodus 16:4 - Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.
15. God provided water from a ______________. (Exodus 17:6)
Exodus 17:6 - Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.
16. With all that God did for his people, they continued to complain about everything. God told his servant Moses that He wanted his people to obey ______________________? (Exodus 19:5) God promised Israel that they would be a peculiar _____________, a kingdom of _____________, and an holy _______________ (Exodus 19:5,6)
Exodus 19:5,6 - Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words
which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
God Gives His People Laws
17. God said not to have any other _________. (Exodus 20:1-3)
Exodus 20:1-3 - And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the
house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
18. His people were not to make any _____________________. (Exodus 20:4)
Exodus 20:4 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
19. God said he was a ____________________God. (Exodus 20:5)
Exodus 20:5 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
God alone deserves worship and glory. It is intolerable to worship anything beside the Creator.
20. The ________________ of God comes on all ungodliness. (Romans 1:18)
Romans 1:18 - For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
21. They who worship creation instead of the Creator have changed the truth of God into a _________. (Romans 1:25)
Romans 1:25 - Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
22. God gave His people laws, the Ten Commandments. He did this to show man how holy God is and how sinful man is. If we only break the law once, we are guilty of ________. (James 2:10)
James 2:10 - For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
23. Is a man justified by keeping the law? (Romans 3:28) Circle one: Yes or No
Romans 3:28 - Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
24. According to Romans 3:19, the law makes us _______________before God.
Romans 3:19 - …what things so ever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
1) In today's lesson, what did you learn about God? _________________________________
2) In today's lesson, what did you learn about man? _________________________________
Memory Verse: Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.- Romans 3:20