In the last lesson, we learned some basic facts about the Bible. If God thought it was important enough to speak to man and make sure that holy men wrote down his words, how much more important is it that we should read and believe those words?
Creation of the World
1. Genesis 1:2-4 says, “the earth was ______________ form and __________. One day, God’s Spirit moved and He said, “Let there be ___________.” Immediately, there was light. With just his voice, God created the earth!
Genesis 1:2-4 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
2. On day 2, God made the ______________(sky) which divided the waters from the waters. The firmament is the air that we breathe. (Genesis 1:6)
Genesis 1:6 - And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
3. On day 3, God separated the dry land from the __________. He made plants and fruit. Inside all plants, there is a seed, that it may reproduce itself. (Genesis 1:9)
Genesis 1:9 - And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
4. On day 4, God made the sun, the moon, the stars to give light upon the ________. This is how we can measure our days, seasons, and years. (Genesis 1:15)
Genesis 1:15 - And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
5. On day 5, God made the _______ to fly in the air and _________ in the sea. (Genesis 1:20,21)
Genesis 1:20,21 - And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
6. On day 6, God made the cattle and animals in the fields. (Genesis 1:24-25)
Genesis 1:24-25 - And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
The Uniqueness of Man
7. Finally, we learn that God made _________, the most special of all his creation. God said, “Let _______ make man in ________ image.” (Genesis 1:26)
Genesis 1:26 - And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God referred to himself in the plural form, though he is one God. This is the first mention of the Triune Godhead, made up of the Father, the Son (the Word), and the Holy Spirit.
8. I John 5:7 says, “For there are _________ that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are ________.
I John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
9. Job 32:8 tells us, “But there is a _________ in man”, as God is a Spirit.
Job 32:8- But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
10. In James 2:26, we learn that without the ____________, the body is dead.
James 2:26 - For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
11. List the three parts of man found in I Thessalonians 5:23:1)_______ 2)________ 3)________
I Thessalonians 5:23 - And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
*Man has three parts to his being, just as God has three parts to His existence. This is what makes man unique from all other creation. Man has a body - with five senses (taste, touch, smell, see, and hear);a soul – by which he has intellect, emotions, and will; and a spirit – through which he has the breath of life on earth and an eternal existence. Thus, man who has self-consciousness (a body), others-consciousness (a soul), still has a hunger to relate to God (only through a spirit-consciousness). The Triune God-head is made up of the Holy Spirit, the Father, and the Son, Jesus Christ.
12. Genesis 2:7 says that God took some dust from the ground and formed a man. Then he took this man and breathed a breath into his nose and this man became a living ___________.
Genesis 2:7- And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
13. This first man was called ____________. (Genesis 2:19)
Genesis 2:19- And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
14. Man was given _____________over all the fish, the birds, and the cattle. (Genesis 1:27,28)
Genesis 1:27,28 - So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
15. God had made a special garden for Adam, which was called ________. (Genesis 2:8)
Genesis 2:8 - And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
16. In this garden, there were two trees—one that would give life and one that would give knowledge of _________ and __________. (Genesis 2:9)
Genesis 2:9 - And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
17. God gave Adam one rule, to not ________of the tree that gives knowledge of good and evil. What would be the punishment if they disobeyed? ____________________ (Genesis 2:17)
Genesis 2:17– But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Man and Woman
18. In Genesis 2:18-20, we learn that man needed a _____________. After naming the animals, God put Adam to sleep.
Genesis 2:18-20 - And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
19. Then God took a _________ from man and made a woman to be his wife. (Genesis 2:21,22)
Genesis 2:21,22 - And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
*Note: Adam and Eve were both naked and not ashamed. Before sin was on earth, mankind was innocent and pure. There was no shame, and thus, no need for clothes.
20. All that God created was ______. He did all this in just _____ days. (Genesis 1:31)
Genesis 1:31 - And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
21. God made an end of all his _________ and rested the seventh day. (Genesis 2:1,2)
Genesis 2:1,2 - Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
A Fact to Consider
The greatest evidence that there is a Creator is found in creation itself. Intelligent design surrounds all of us. Everything living has a complex design. Every plant, animal, and person is made to heal, reproduce, and serve a specific purpose. Everything brings glory to God when it fulfills its unique role in creation.
When you see a book, you know there must be an author. When you see a painting, you know there had to be a painter. When you see a building, you know there is an architect. Thus, when you look at creation, know that there is a Creator.
22. The heavens declare the _________ of God; and the firmament sheweth his _____________. (Psalm 19:1)
Psalm 19:1 - The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
In today's lesson, what did you learn about God?
In today's lesson, what did you learn about man?
Memory Verse: The earth is the LORD’S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.– Psalm 24:1