Although the life and ministry of Jesus Christ was only 33 years, it would have an eternal impact on all of humanity. Jesus had shown that he was God in flesh and died for the sins of all men. He came alive and showed himself to his followers on many occasions. Because the Jewish nation had rejected Christ as King, he would now include the Gentile nations in calling out a people for his name.
Christ’s Last Words
1. How many people saw Christ after His resurrection? (I Corinthians 15:6) ________________
I Corinthians 15:6 - After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of
whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
2. What did Thomas call Christ when He appeared to his disciples? (John 20:26-28)__________
John 20:26-28 - And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with
them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
3. What believers did Jesus say are blessed? (John 20:29) ____________________
John 20:29 - Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
4. Jesus appeared to two men on the road to Emmaus and taught them what the scriptures said concerning who? (Luke 24:27) ____________________
Luke 24:27 - And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
5. In Matthew 28:19, Christ told his followers to teach all ____________ and to baptize them in the ___________ of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 28:19 - Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
6. Christ promised his disciples he would prepare them a place in his Father’s house and would come again to do what? (John 14:3) ___________________________
John 14:3 - And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
7. What did Christ promise his disciples would come upon them after he returned to heaven? (Acts 1:8) ________________________
Acts 1:8 - But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
8. Jesus said the purpose of the Comforter, also known as the Holy Ghost, was to “reprove the world of _________, ________________, and _________________.” “He will guide you unto all __________.” (John 16:7-13)
John 16:7-13 - Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
God’s Kingdom Expands
9. What one thing did Jesus promise to build that not even the gates of hell could prevail against it? (Matthew 16:13) _________________
Matthew 16:13 - When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
10. Christ promised to give Peter the ______ to the kingdom. (Matthew 16:19)
Matthew 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
11. Who preached on the Day of Pentecost? ( Acts 2:1,14) _____________
Acts 2:1,14 - …the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
14 - But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
12. Who was in the audience on this special day? (Acts 2:5) _______________
Acts 2:5 - And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
13. Every man heard the message in his own ___________________. (Acts 2:6)
Acts 2:6 - Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
14. What gift did the believers receive that day? (Acts 2:38) ___________________
Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
*Peter unlocked the door to the kingdom of God for the Jews in Acts 2. In Acts 8, Peter is present for the Spirit of God coming upon the Samaritans. In Acts 10, Peter shared the Gospel which was received by Gentiles! Now even Gentiles have the Holy Spirit living in them. God’s kingdom has since expanded from Israel to the rest of the world!
A Light to the Gentiles 15. Stephen was stoned to death for preaching the good news of Jesus Christ. Who held the coats for the men who killed him? (Acts 7:58,59) ___________
Acts 7:58,59 - And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. 59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
16. While travelling to Damascus to persecute Christians, how did God get Saul’s attention? (Acts 9:3-5) ______________________________________
Acts 9:3-5 - And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: 4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
17. What was Saul’s response to God? (Acts 9:6) _________________________
Acts 9:6 - And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
*Notice the change in attitude Saul had toward Jesus Christ. Before, he had hated Christ and His followers. Now he is calling him Lord. This is a big change! After God directed Saul to Ananias, he received his sight.
18. What was the first thing Saul did as a follower of Christ? (Acts 9:17,18) ________________
Acts 9:17,18 - And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
19. What did Saul immediately preach? (Acts 9:20) _________________________
Acts 9:20 - And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.
*Saul’s name was changed to Paul. Now instead of being known as a persecutor of Christians, Paul would be known for being a preacher of Christ.
20. The Gospel has the power to save whom? (Romans 1:16) ____________________________
Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
21. The Lord said that Paul would bring salvation unto the __________ of the earth. (Acts 13:47)
Acts 13:47 - For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.
22. What stirred Paul’s spirit when he was in Athens? (Acts 17:16) _______________________
Acts 17:16 - Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
23. What did he preach to them? (Acts 17:18) ________________________________________
Acts 17:18 - Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And approximately said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
24. What were the reactions of the people? (Acts 17:32-34) ______________________________
Acts 17:32-34 - And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter. 33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed:
25. How far did the truth of the Gospel travel according to Colossians 1:5,6? ________________
Colossians 1:5,6 - For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; 6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world;
26. Jesus is coming back in the _____________to catch away believers where we will ever be with the ________. (I Thessalonians 4:16,17)
I Thessalonians 4:16,17 - For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
*This event is known as the Rapture of the Church.
27. This future event will happen how fast? (I Corinthians 15:52)_________________________
I Corinthians 15:52 - In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
28. Since we do not know when the Lord will return, we must be __________. (Matthew 24:44)
Matthew 24:44 - Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
1) In today's lesson, what did you learn about God? _________________________________
2) In today's lesson, what did you learn about man? _________________________________
Memory Verse: Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; – Titus 2:13
CONGRATULATIONS on completion of this Bible study!
Please let us know if you have completed these lessons. If you have any questions or comments, you may email me at PilgrimofTruth@yahoo.com
Please proceed to the study in the Gospel of John